[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-1: Section 8.4 Transfer Enhancement - posted for discussion

ARIN info at arin.net
Thu Jan 31 18:08:02 EST 2013

Draft Policy ARIN-2013-1
Section 8.4 Transfer Enhancement

On 25 January 2013 the ARIN Advisory Council (AC) accepted
"ARIN-prop-183 Section 8.4 Transfer Enhancement" as a  draft policy.

Draft Policy ARIN-2013-1 is below and can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2013_1.html

You are encouraged to discuss the merits and your concerns of Draft
Policy 2013-1 on the Public Policy Mailing List. 2013-1 will also be on
the agenda at the upcoming ARIN Public Policy Consultation at NANOG 57
in Orlando. The AC will evaluate the discussion in order to assess the
conformance of this draft policy with ARIN's Principles of Internet
Number Resource Policy as stated in the PDP. Specifically, these
principles are:

  * Enabling Fair and Impartial Number Resource Administration
  * Technically Sound
  * Supported by the Community

The AC will document the results of their assessment.

The ARIN Policy Development Process (PDP) can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html

Draft Policies and Proposals under discussion can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/index.html

Regards,

Member Services

## * ##

Date: 31 January 2013

Policy statement:

Modify the following text in Section 8.4

Change all occurrences of "IPv4 number resources" to "IPv4 number
resources and ASNs".

Change all occurrences of "IPv4 address resources" to "IPv4 number
resources and ASNs".

Rationale:

We already allow transfer of ASNs within the ARIN region. The change
will accomplish two things. First there is inconsistent language in 8.4
eg "IPv4 Address" v. "IPv4 Number Resource(s)" and second, it will allow
the transfer of ASNs between RIRs through 8.4 and using the standards we
have already established for IPv4 transfers. For many of the same
reasons that we allow transfer of IP addresses, we should allow
transfers of ASNs and to help insure that idle resources are both
recovered and utilized efficiently and where needed.