[arin-ppml] 8.2 Transfers at ARIN

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 11:15:17 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM, David Huberman
<David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:
> So what if the policy/process resulted in 8.2 requests being something like:
>
> - submit request form
> - attach letter from attorney currently admitted to a bar[1]  indicating the transfer request is bona fide
>
> That's how it's done in business when assuming contracts, right?

Where all parties to a transaction are represented by competent
counsel, and due diligent is done by all parties, things might be
easier.  When an interested party may not even be at the table
(the "true" original register of the resource), things can get
complicated down the road (if any dispute actually happens).

Instead, perhaps of simply being admitted, you want a higher
standard of the equivalent of a title company/insurance to
research the transaction history, and insure it against future
claims.  Other than moving the costs (and any delays and/or
rejection) from ARIN to some 3rd party company, I am not
sure it would change the results.  The problem is fundamentally
the same problem that existing title companies have in lands
that have not changed hands since, well, forever, and whose
records are written with knives on bear skins.

Gary