[arin-ppml] 8.2 Transfers at ARIN

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Dec 10 03:12:22 EST 2013

On Dec 10, 2013, at 8:55 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2013, at 7:43 AM, David Huberman <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> During my 14 years of experience on both sides of the ARIN request desk, and
>> watching Public Policy events for most of that time, it's clear to me that large
>> swaths of 8.2 transfers go unapproved because the requestor abandons them.
>> Many of the requests are abandoned because some combination of policy and
>> procedure is considered too onerous and "not worth it" by the requestor.
>
> Agreed... (note that verification that the requester is actually
> an authorized party is often considered onerous by requesters.)

To elaborate a bit, it's important to remember that in the circumstances where someone
is attempting to hijack resources (which looks quite similar to those attempting to
update resource records but unable or unwilling to provide supporting documentation),
there's another party that could be potentially harmed if ARIN does not take reasonable
and proper care in processing the request.

>> That policy work, combined with changes in procedures, hopefully leads to easier
>> 8.2 transfers for requestors, and in turn, more accuracy in Whois records.

Such a goal is laudable, and should be explored to the extent that it can be
accomplished with respect to the duty that ARIN has in protecting resources
presently issued to legitimate resource holders.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO