[arin-ppml] Fwd: 2013 NANOG Board - Call for Nominations

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Aug 8 15:38:24 EDT 2013

NANOG is seeking candidates for its upcoming Board election.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Smith <mksmith at mac.com<mailto:mksmith at mac.com>>
Date: August 8, 2013, 2:48:12 PM EDT
To: NANOG list <nanog at nanog.org<mailto:nanog at nanog.org>>
Subject: 2013 NANOG Board - Call for Nominations

Dear NANOGers,

Hope you are enjoying this great Summer.  Following our July 15, 2013 posting ‘‘Announcing the October 2013 NANOG Elections’ which provided a preview into our election process, on behalf of the Board and 2013 Elections Committee, we are pleased to open the Call for Board Member Nominations for the three vacant positions on the Board of Directors.  The nomination period starts August 9 and closes September 20, 2013 at 23:59 Pacific Standard Time.

If you are nominating another person, please send that person's name and email address to elections at nanog.org<mailto:elections at nanog.org> and we will contact them to
acknowledge their willingness to stand and will ask them to submit their Declaration of Candidacy Form, found under the2013 Elections Main Menu.

If you are nominating yourself, please submit your Declaration of Candidacy Form and email it to elections at nanog.org<mailto:elections at nanog.org>.

Below is the summary of the Board Member role and a detailed description is viewable on our NANOG website.

************************************

Position: Board Member

Time commitment:
Five hours per week (meetings, preparation, consultation) for Members or Eight hours per week (meetings, preparation, consultation) for Officers
(Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer).

Term:        Two years. Maximum of two consecutive terms.

Accountability
The Board of Directors are collectively accountable to the community, sponsors and other stakeholders. They are accountable for NANOG’s
performance in relation to its mission and strategic objectives and for the effective stewardship of financial and human resources.

Authority
Individual board members have no authority to approve actions by NANOG, to direct staff, or to speak on behalf for NANOG, unless given such authority by the board.

Responsibility
Board members are responsible for acting in the best long-term interests of the organization and its community and will bring to the task of informed
decision-making, a broad knowledge and an inclusive perspective.

General Duties
Every member of the Board of Directors is expected to do the following:
·      Be a NANOG member in good standing
·      Prepare for and attend board meetings every fortnight
·      Work as a team member and support board decisions
·      Participate in the review of NANOG’s mission and objectives and the
      development of a strategic plan
·      Monitor the performance of the organization in relation to
      objectives and core values
·      Approve the budget and monitor financial performance in relation to
      it
·      Abide by the by-laws, code of conduct and other policies that apply
      to the board
·      Establish, review and monitor policies that guide core operational
      practices (eg. financial management, human resource management)
·      Participate in hiring and releasing the Executive Director
·      Participate in the evaluation of the Executive Director
·      Participate in the recruitment of new board members
·      Participate in the evaluation of the board itself
·      Participate in committee work (liaison)
·      Appoint Standing committees members
·      Appoint Ad-Hoc committees members.
·      Attend two out of every three NANOG conferences
·      Keep informed about community issues relevant to the mission and
      objectives of NANOG

Qualifications

The following are considered key job qualifications:
·    Knowledge of the community
·    Experience in or willingness to participate in the governance of a
    non-profit organization
·    Demonstrated aptitudes for financial management
·    Leadership, outreach and communication skills
·    Commitment to organization’s mission and strategic directions
·    A commitment of time
·    Consensus organizing and openness to learning

Removal of a Board Member
A Board of Directors member who misses three or more meetings in a row and who does not attend any Board of Directors meetings for three months may be removed.

The Board of Directors is an active and engaged component of NANOG. As NANOG continues to evolve, our Board and our Committees will continue to
play an increasingly important role in our success.  We thank you in advance for becoming NANOG members and taking an active part in our
governance.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to send the elections at nanog.org<mailto:elections at nanog.org>.

Best regards
Michael K. Smith