[arin-ppml] Clean up definition of LIR/ISP vs. end-user

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 14:41:54 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> Easy enough to accomplish, if folks believe that the end result will be more
> clear than present approach.

Using one term (LIR) everywhere has an advantage in reading of
the NRPM (although I would assert few do (present company are
the exception, of course), and fewer still can actually figure out
all the nuances (or maybe I am projecting my own limits when
reading the NRPM :-)).  But, so that those that think of themselves
as ISPs know how they are being referred to as, the 2.4 reference
should probably be enhanced with something like:
.. 2.4 Local Internet Registry [LIR] / ISPs
..... For consistency ... the document uses the term LIR.

As an editorial only change (since 6.5.1 explicitly states that
LIR == ISP), this should not be especially controversial.  On
the other hand, I do not consider this important enough to
invest a lot of resources into.