[arin-ppml] Justifying an ISP /22

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 19 03:09:46 EDT 2013

On Apr 18, 2013, at 14:21 , "Otis L. Surratt, Jr." <otis at ocosa.com> wrote:

> [...]

I think it would be better to simply eliminate the PA space requirement
and simply require documented need.

>>> 4. Be forced to take an automatic IPv6 allocation (at whatever
>> NRPM-supported size is appropriate (preferably /32 min.))
>
>>> I'm not sure I buy this, either. As much as I support IPv6 and favor
> increased
>>> IPv6 rollout (the sooner we're off v4 the better we will all be), I
> don't believe that inflicting IPv6 allocations on people that aren't
> ready to ask for them does anything other than skew statistics.
>
> I see the point here also. I think most that take an IPv6 allocation
> don't immediately deploy so the statistics could be skewed anyway?
> New networks should have the mind set of IPv6 anyway but I agree forcing
> doesn't seem like the best way but then again...

Sure, but I don't see force-feeding as helping that situation. At least if they
asked for it, it's a case of they intended to do something with it or felt that
there was some benefit to having it.

Owen