[arin-ppml] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Apr 17 11:59:46 EDT 2013

On Apr 16, 2013, at 10:08 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>  The ISP must demonstrate the need for IPv4 address resources under
>>  ARIN standard allocation policies (i.e. a single-homed ISP showing
>>  need for a /20 or multi-homed ISP showing need for a /22) in order
>>  to qualify to receive resources via transfer.  Once qualified, we
>>  can approve the transfer of IPv4 space; this can be to a maximum
>>  of their documented need based on their current utilization rate
>>  extended 24 months out, and down to a minimum of a single /24 (as
>>  /24 is the explicit minimum transfer size specified in NRPM 8.3)
>
> Thanks John.
>
> So, what would folks think of a policy adjustment along these lines:
>
> "Add to: 8.3 Conditions on recipient of the transfer:
>
> * Minimum address block size qualifications defined in section 4 do
> not apply to transfers to specified recipients."

What problem do you think that would solve?

In the current case being discussed, it isn't the block size minimums he
is having a problem with, it is the amount he can get SWIPd vs. the
inability to qualify under immediate need.

IMHO, the correct fix is to modify the pre-existing space requirements
so as to allow documented need to substitute for SWIP'd space.

Owen