[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Sun Apr 7 22:19:04 EDT 2013

cb.list6 wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2013 12:49 PM, "Paul Vixie" <paul at redbarn.org
> <mailto:paul at redbarn.org>> wrote:
> >
> > i know that it's a popular viewpoint -- many folks feel that the
> time for needs based allocation is over and that the invisible hand of
> the market is now capable of optimizing the holding of address space
> and the aggregation level of that space into routing table entries.
> >

> Popular viewpoint go far in a bottom up process such as arin. In fact,
> the whole thing is a popularity contest.

i said it was popular, not that it could win a popularity contest.

> > so i thought i'd chime in: i consider that case to be extremely
> unmade as yet. even though i am in most other ways a free-marketeer.
> as stewards of a public resource ARIN has always been guided by RFC
> 2050 which requires recipients of these public resources to justify
> their need, no matter whether these resources are coming from a
> central pool or a private transfer.
> >
> > paul
>
> Does that mean you require an update to rfc 2050 to move ?

not at all. i think RFC 2050 was and remains correct in this regard.
i'll "move" when and if my mind changes on the matter.

> I noticed this http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-housley-rfc2050bis-01

> Should 2050bis ask rir not do this fair  policy?  From what I read in
> 2050bis is that is says the rir can make their own policy and 2050 is
> dead.
>
> Do you read it differently?

i read it to accurately explain that not every RIR still follows the
needs based justification described in RFC 2050. it's a description of
the current RIR system. 2050bis does not "ask" RIRs to do anything, it's
a description of what they actually do.

> As it stands, speaking from experience, the justification story in v4
> and v6 drives design choices. That is an unfortunate fact and
> negatively impacts system design.

i'm intrigued by this statement. i hope you are willing to share some of
your experiences as to how needs based justification has negatively
driven some design choices.

paul