[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Sun Apr 7 17:05:28 EDT 2013

Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> On 4/7/2013 9:58 AM, Steven Noble wrote:

>> As noted before by others, I don't understand why a record has
>> different costs based on what the record is for.  The difference in
>> fees seems to go against ARINs goal of allocating resources to the
>> community.
>>
>> Is the overhead of an IPv6 allocation record 5x an ASN record?
>
> It is just ARIN trying to figure out how to maximize its own revenue.

i don't think that's a fair or true statement.

> It knows that if it charged everyone the same amount, there would be
> some large organizations who could easily afford to pay more but from
> whom they aren't extracting any extra revenue.

nor that one.

> They justify this scaled pricing by then claiming that if they charged
> everyone so little that it was affordable to the smallest, they
> wouldn't bring in enough to pay for the usual overhead of costs that
> happens when there's money in the bank account to support those costs,
> despite the fact that the database itself could be run by volunteers
> for free or nearly so. Simple economics I'm afraid.

i've been here nine years now and i've been looking for the avoidable
costs or the self-creating monetary vacuum that you're talking about
here. i havn't found them. i don't think we'd like (you, me, anybody) a
nearly-volunteer system without the controls, outreach, and policy
process we're all getting from the RIR system in its current form.

paul