[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Sun Apr 7 15:55:39 EDT 2013

Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Steven Noble <snoble at sonn.com> wrote:
>> I would love to have PI IPv6 space and as I have no IPv4 space from ARIN, adding IPv6 will raise my fees. What is the proposal to get legacy holders to adopt IPv6?
>
> The community has been fairly clear that Legacy holders are going to
> have to come into the tent (of ARIN or equivalent RIR) to register
> additional numbers of any type (ASN, IPv4, or IPv6).  That includes
> the new fees and agreements.

indeed, "legacy holder" is not an exclusive property. one can be a
"legacy and non-legacy holder", and that's what the community driven
policies in the ARIN region have encouraged. if ipv6 space is needed,
it's available. i can see how it might seem unfair to have received one
kind of resource without fee and to then be asked to pay a fee for some
other kind of resource. hopefully the unfairness in getting new
resources for free even though others in like situations have to pay a
fee is even more obvious.

> So, the reason for legacy holders to adopt IPv6 is not because
> it will (again) be free (or nearly so), but because that is where
> one should be.

+1.

paul