[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Apr 7 13:13:34 EDT 2013

On Apr 7, 2013, at 9:58 AM, Steven Noble <snoble at sonn.com> wrote:

> I would love to have PI IPv6 space and as I have no IPv4 space from ARIN, adding IPv6 will raise my fees. What is the proposal to get legacy holders to adopt IPv6?
>
> As noted before by others, I don't understand why a record has different costs based on what the record is for.  The difference in fees seems to go against ARINs goal of allocating resources to the community.
>
> Is the overhead of an IPv6 allocation record 5x an ASN record?

Actually, there is a significantly more registry operations
and development costs associated with IP address blocks than
AS numbers, if only because IP address blocks for ISPs end up
with subassignments to customers, and this ends up in Whois
via SWIP or restful interfaces.  While we have lowered fees
(and doing so again with this change) for the smaller ISPs,
it still does not compare to either "free" or the nominal
$100 per record fee for legacy holders.

Do you have a view on whether or not policy should be changed
(as proposed in ARIN-2013-3) to allow ISPs to request an IPv6
allocation of /40 if they want to, or should they be limited
to at least a /36 allocation per current policy?

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO