[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Apr 7 08:29:54 EDT 2013

On Apr 7, 2013, at 5:04 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> If very small ISPs receiving /40 of IPv6 space does not make good
>> technical sense, then the community should not support the draft
>> policy... it's that simple.
>
> It's not that simple. If it was, we wouldn't have a policy draft on
> the table trying to work around errors in the fee schedule.

Bill -

 Actually, it is that simple. The Draft Policy proposal on the table
 "Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs" provides
 an option for ISPs who wish to be issued IPv6 allocations which are
 smaller than present policy allows.  The Revised fee schedule will
 allow this but does not require it in any fashion.

 If adopted, it will indeed provide lower fees for those ISPs who make
 use of it, but the question of whether the policy change is worthwhile
 comes down to the community's consideration of whether it is fair and
 technically sound.  If the community doesn't think so, then no policy
 change is needed (fees for smallest ISPs will still go down, but not
 as far as they might otherwise)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran