[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 94, Issue 3

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Apr 6 23:36:48 EDT 2013

On Apr 3, 2013, at 11:56 AM, MsRachelleCross/GM <msrachellecross at gmail.com> wrote:

> We are ARIN. Therefore, it's our jobs to ensure safety on the Internet.  I personally know of several IP hosts who have violated intellectual genre, and (c) laws, having taken over people's Domains after providing service. There are other people out here who's entire IPv6 networks get hacked. People have related stories of losing information off of all their computers, mainframe, and all software licenses.
>   Sirs, will any of the new protocol protect innocent everyday people, making the Internet safe for everyone, and not just those of us with technical knowledge?
>    I would very much appreciate an opportunity to work with your team if I can be of assistance.
>
> Namaste,
> Rev Rachelle C.Navarro

Rev Rachelle C.Navarro -

  My apologies for not responding earlier, and do hope that this
  response finds you well.

  You are correct: We (the community participating on this list)
  are ARIN.  ARIN strives to maintain open participation and it
  is fair to characterize those on this list as shaping how ARIN
  accomplishes its mission.

  The mission of ARIN is focused on the administration of the IP
  address space in this region, and not per se on ensuring "safety
  on the Internet"  It is true that some aspects of administering
  IP addresses will have implications for safety on the Internet,
  but actually ensuring that outcome is a much bigger job requiring
  many more participants and the balancing of various public policy
  concerns of governments & law enforcement with due consideration
  to civil society and human rights.

  There is no central body which ensures "safety on the Internet"
  but you can find the topic discussed at the "Internet Governance
  Forum" (IGF), which is an open forum for multi-stakeholder policy
  dialogue about the Internet, including public policy issues such
  as sustainability, robustness, security, stability and development
  of the Internet.  You can find out more information on the IGF
  here <http://www.intgovforum.org/> such how to participate in their
  workshops and conferences (including remote participation options)

  If you have any questions or would like to discuss this further,
  please feel free to contact me directly at <jcurran at arin.net>

Thank you!
/John

John Curran