[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Apr 6 22:58:23 EDT 2013

On Apr 5, 2013, at 9:37 AM, Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:

> I see no reason to have a policy motivated strictly by fees to remain after fee changes that may or may not negate it, and to determine that it should go back through the PDP. Otherwise we're just cluttering the NRPM with irrelevant policy.

Seth -

 The ARIN Board has often lowered the fee schedule as the
 financial circumstances allow, and in general this has been
 independent of number resource policy changes.

 The Revised Fee schedule is much improved over the existing
 fee schedule with respect to organizations being able to
 cost-effectively make use of IPv6 (as it is lower than the
 existing fee schedule's smallest IPv6 category today.)

 If the community does not support 2013-3, then smaller ISPs
 will still have the current option of receiving a /36 of IPv6
 (if they wish); this will put them in the x-small fee category
 of $1000 per year.

 If the community supports 2013-3, then some very small ISPs will
 gain an option of taking a /40 allocation of IPv6 space, which
 will put them in the xx-small fee category with fees of $500 per
 year.

 If very small ISPs receiving /40 of IPv6 space does not make good
 technical sense, then the community should not support the draft
 policy... it's that simple. (These ISPs will still have lower fees
 under the Revised Fee schedule, just not as low as they might have
 had otherwise...)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran