[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Apr 4 17:14:13 EDT 2013

On 4/4/13 15:29 , William Herrin wrote:
> Se la vie. Today, the battle we can win is getting IPv6, *any* IPv6,
> into the hands of ISPs who are willing to do it if it doesn't change
> their ARIN costs. The board isn't willing to set the IPv6 fees for
> every ISP holding an IPv6 /32 at $500, but they'll apparently accept
> making a smaller allocation to an ISP for $500. For that reason, I'd
> encourage you to support the proposal.
>
> Let's just make sure they can convert to a /32 later without renumbering.

Actually, to that end I'll change the proposed 6.5.2.1 clause (g) adding
"or renumbering" to the end of the first sentence, resulting in;

g. An LIR that requests a smaller /36 or /40 allocation is entitled to
expand the allocation to /32 or /36 at any time without additional
justification or renumbering.  Such expansions are not considered
subsequent allocations.  However, any expansions beyond /32 are
considered subsequent allocations, and must conform to section 6.5.3.

This makes the policy intent abundantly clear without specifying
operational issues like the size of a reservation.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952