[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Apr 4 16:52:08 EDT 2013

On 4/4/13 14:46 , Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> Totally oppose the below. There's no reason why we should ever be giving
> an ISP something smaller than a /32. Fix the silly fee schedule.

Current policy already allows /36s to be handed out, this adds /40s to
that, and allow you to change it to /32 as you see fit.

> If charging $1000 instead of $500 is a disincentive (I certainly think
> it is) make the /32 be $500.

I assume you didn't support the original version of the draft with /48s
either, and your not opposed to the changes to the draft, but the policy
intent overall.  Or, is there something about the changes from the
original draft that you oppose.

> Matthew Kaufman
>
> ps. Example as to why I think it is a disincentive: I run a microwave
> network linking multiple mountaintops serving the tiny needs of several
> different non-profit organizations, all paid for out of my own pocket.
> All of it is numbered out of legacy space I hold. Guess how much my wife
> thinks I should spend per year on an IPv6 allocation from ARIN so that I
> can add IPv6 to this network? I'll give you a hint: $500/year is too much.

The last paragraph of the comments basically says that it would be
better to have a different solution for the fee schedule, but that is
out of scope of the PDP.

I'd be interested in talking with you about finding a way to meet such
needs.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952