[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Apr 4 14:31:20 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> Part 2: Add a new subsection to section 6 "IPv6";
>
> 6.12 Reduction or Return
>
> ARIN will accept the return of whole or partial block(s) allowing an
> organization to reduce their holdings as long as:
>
> a. The end result is not an increase in the number of non-contiguous blocks
> held by the organization.

Hi David,

CIDR blocks or aggregable blocks. 10.0.0.0-10.11.12.13 is a contiguous
block but it doesn't _aggregate_ for routing purposes per NRPM 6.3.4.

> b. Whole blocks are returned to the extent practicable.

I liked the original language in the proposal which was along the
lines of: "the aggregate retained must be either the first (lowest
numbered) subnet or the last (highest numbered) subnet of the original
allocation."

I see Owen's point but when the time eventually arrives that we have
to think about allocating the space in these reserved areas, I'd
rather that space be less fragmented than more. Anyone who doesn't
have a /32 yet can read the policy and figure out what they need to do
if they want to be able to shed cost. And anyone who already has their
/32... thank you. But seriously, show of hands, which of you wants to
return the start and end of your /32 and keep only a chunk in the
middle somewhere?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004