[arin-ppml] Incorrect POC on resource records

Steven Noble snoble at sonn.com
Wed Sep 26 11:27:36 EDT 2012

Hi Again Ted,

On Sep 26, 2012, at 8:01 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:

> The issue are the so called Legacy assignments made pre-ARIN that there
> is no RSA on file for.  However, the NRPM requires ARIN to mark these
> as invalid if the POC fails to respond.
>
> So while your opinion may be that ARIN should never break a record,
> the NRPM says otherwise.

If you are referring to the ARIN NRPM, that would not be valid against a legacy ORG that has not interacted with ARIN or signed a (L)RSA.

Even if you want to claim that the NRPM does apply to legacy ORGs, the only thing I can find that specifically talks about legacy is in section 12.8

"12.8

This policy does not create any additional authority for ARIN to revoke legacy address space. However, the utilization of legacy resources shall be considered during a review to assess overall compliance."

The annual POC review states the following:

"3.6.1 Method of Annual Verification

During ARINs annual Whois POC validation, an email will be sent to every POC in the Whois database. Each POC will have a maximum of 60 days to respond with an affirmative that their Whois contact information is correct and complete. Unresponsive POC email addresses shall be marked as such in the database. If ARIN staff deems a POC to be completely and permanently abandoned or otherwise illegitimate, the POC record shall be marked invalid. ARIN will maintain, and make readily available to the community, a current list of number resources with no valid POC; this data will be subject to the current bulk Whois policy."

No where in that does it say that ARIN will change the POC to be a different, invalid POC.  Marking something invalid is a lot different than changing the POC to CKN23-ARIN.