[arin-ppml] Regarding unauthorized changes (Re: Policy question)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Sep 22 07:54:25 EDT 2012

On Sep 21, 2012, at 7:53 PM, Jeffrey Lyon <jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net> wrote:

> William,
>
> I would agree with you on almost every point you made. My major beef
> is that the other party does not own a network. We own the network,
> we're using the space, and we're the ones justifying it. With that
> said, we also keep routing it whether the other party likes it or not.
> It would be very easy for ARIN to revoke the space from the
> non-qualified holder and reissue it to the company who is already
> justifying its use.

Jeffrey -

  It is possible that ARIN could reclaim an address block which is
  apparently unused by the registered address holder, but to do so
  when the registered address holder point-of-contact is responsive
  and indicates otherwise would require some very clear direction from
  this community in terms of policy.  The community has not discussed
  preemption-via-use as a concept, and ARIN lacks policy guidance to
  act as you suggest.  One would imagine that it truly underutilized
  resources would end up transferred with parties with appropriate need,
  but if some form of preemption through cybersquatting policy were to be
  adopted by the community, the ARIN staff would implement faithfully.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO