[arin-ppml] Regarding unauthorized changes (Re: Policy question)

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Fri Sep 21 16:37:28 EDT 2012

On Sep 20, 2012, at 8:33 PM, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:
> My biggest gripe is that rather than having a process in which ARIN
> can investigate and media these issues, they insist that I spend 5 to
> 6 figures dragging the situation through the courts. ARIN should be
> *serving* its members. Yes, some liability could become involved. This
> is the nature of business.

I believe that you have somewhere between one and three problems:

1. Your lawyer is overcharging you.

2. Your lawyer in incompetent in these kind of proceedings.

3. Your situation is not as simply as you are making it out to be.

I have personally dealt with the law when an IP block was stolen from a company. The total legal fees were less than $500 to get an injunction against the other company, the total time I spent as a consultant for the company was 12 hours including getting the legal paperwork to be accepted by all the relevant providers and technical work to get the IPs routing again (and technical work to get the service live on alternate IPs during the outage).  That's still less than $5k total fees to the company in question, and I charged them a hefty hourly rate because of the emergency/unscheduled nature of the work.

Anyway, to get back on topic: I believe that you are annoyed that you cannot get ARIN to step in and play judge and jury for your case, when the legal system is not working for you. I believe that ARIN would be out of line to do so, given that the legal system could simply overrule ARIN and at that point ask ARIN to pay damages to the injured party.

You know the way to solve this. That you cannot get this done very quickly indicates that your situation is more complex than you are indicating here. I don't believe that this is a matter for ARIN policy debate, and I am personally asking you to take this off the PPML list.

personally == having zero authority beyond my ability to type on a keyboard

--
Jo Rhett