[arin-ppml] Regarding unauthorized changes (Re: Policy question)

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Fri Sep 21 16:28:36 EDT 2012

On Sep 20, 2012, at 7:39 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> Contacts have no right to request changes on their organization's
> behalf, and represent that they are authorized,   if  their role
> within the organization no longer exists and  has changed in such a
> manner,  as they would not be authorized to make the change, so in
> theory... there should be little possibility at all whatsoever of a
> "dispute of authorized status",   ARIN should listen to  whatever
> organization  signed the RSA, actually contracted for the resources,
> and can prove that with suitable notarized documents.
….
> Will ARIN revert those changes, and replace the Admin POC with the new
> one,  when provided a suitable attestation by the officers of the
> organization?
>
> If not, perhaps the policy in place is  not really adequate....

This is exactly the same situation which can happen with a house title. Houses have been sold right out from under their owners by exactly the means you listed here in this message. It is not the fault of the city which records the title change based on proper documentation given to them.

For people in this situation to recover their house, they need to open a court case and submit documentation proving that they own their house and they they did not sell it, and that the person who did sell it was not authorized to do so, etc etc.  There is well established legal precedence for this.

There is also a market where one can sue the title insurance company who was supposed to do investigation to clear the title. But nobody can sue the county who records the title change--they accept paperwork, they process paperwork which is properly submitted

Like the county which records the title change, and provides listing of titles and owners, I do not believe that ARIN is responsible for title insurance. I believe that people who fail to update their contacts appropriately cause the failure, and I would like to see ARIN charge the requestor for the effort required to resolve failures due to their own documentation issues.

John, would ARIN require policy to be written to allow ARIN to charge fees for research and resolution of matters which are due to incomplete or out of date contact information?

--
Jo Rhett