[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2012-6: Revising Section 4.4 C/I Reserved Pool Size

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Sep 20 22:18:12 EDT 2012

On 9/20/12 16:19 CDT, Chris Grundemann wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

>>> Is there data on _when_ they were handed out? E.g. How many
>>> assignments were made each month, and each year, for the past 12-18
>>> months and 3-5 years?
>>
>> We haven't traditionally produced summary statistics for the critical infrastructure
>> assignments, but they do appear both in Whois as well as the "Raw Historical Delegation"
>> files <https://www.arin.net/knowledge/statistics/rir.html> with the date of assignment.
>>
>> Do you want ARIN to produce a historic summary of these assignments?
>
> Not on my account. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't already
> producing them before I built my own.

I think I agree with Chris on this, I'm not sure it is worth going back
and producing new data.  The crux of the argument to expand the
reservation isn't that we think the current /16 reservation wasn't large
enough based on historical usage.  Between EPs and DNS there is less
that 1.5 /16s of CI allocated currently.  So from a historical point of
view a /16 seems like plenty.

However, the crux of the argument to expand the reservation is that the
potential new TLDs ICANN is talking about could create unprecedented
demand for CI allocations right at the time we may be out of IPv4.  So,
while such data probably would be nice, it would neither support or
refute the crux of the argument regarding this policy, in my opinion.

Thanks
David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952