[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2012-7: Reassignments for Third Party Internet Access (TPIA) over Cable

Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com
Thu Sep 6 17:17:44 EDT 2012

> William Herrin <bill at herrin.us>
> Wait, let me do the math. So if I have 50 customers in one
> neighborhood (one node) and -nothing- anywhere else in the cable
> operator's 1000 node region, I have to provision a /16 so that each
> node can have a /26 and each of my 50 customers can use a single
> dynamic IP address?

Yes. Because the next day, these 50 customers are on a different router.

> This is the behavior ARIN is asked to facilitate?

This is not a behavior. This how DOCSIS and CMTSes work.

Feel free to start your own cable standard that won't have this
limitation, implement it and sell it. We'll be waiting.

/JF