[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2012-7: Reassignments for Third Party Internet Access (TPIA) over Cable

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Sep 6 17:03:52 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM,
<Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com> wrote:
> Canadian cable operators do indeed require third parties to provision all
> the access equipment (CTMSes) in a given "region" with subnets roughly
> equal in size to the largest number of clients on any equipment. The reason
> behind this is quite simple, the third party does not have a vision of which
> equipment correspond to the street address of a specific potential client.

Wait, let me do the math. So if I have 50 customers in one
neighborhood (one node) and -nothing- anywhere else in the cable
operator's 1000 node region, I have to provision a /16 so that each
node can have a /26 and each of my 50 customers can use a single
dynamic IP address?

This is the behavior ARIN is asked to facilitate?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004