[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2012-7: Reassignments for Third Party Internet Access (TPIA) over Cable

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Sep 6 13:26:41 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Steven Ryerse
<SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com> wrote:
> The requirements that the Canadian cable providers are
> being asked to meet are non-sensical just like many other
> government requirements.

Steven,

My understanding of the issue from the prior discussion is that the
CRTC (government) requirements DO NOT drive this issue. The cable
companies are permitted (NOT required) to make competitive ISPs
provision every cable node in the system with IP addresses regardless
of whether any customers connect to those nodes. The requirement that
each competitive ISP provision *every* node is 100% driven by the
cable companies' network management choices. NOT the government.

If I am mistaken, point me to the relevant government document and
quote me the paragraph. I will re-evaluate my viewpoint. Until then my
assessment stands: this is a set of fights between companies not a
regulatory-driven requirement. It is inappropriate for ARIN to enable
bad behavior on the part of any of those companies.

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM,
<Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com> wrote:
> This strong wording is wholly unwarranted.

If my understanding of the situation (see above) is correct then my
choice of words is, if anything, understated. If I have misunderstood
then please correct me (also see above) and I'll be sure to apologize
as I reassess.

If this issue really were driven by government regulation (which it
DOES NOT appear to be) it still wouldn't call for the proposed,
wasteful solution. But it would certainly call for a more caution,
tact and generosity from ARIN than my words would recommend. Perhaps
something like a 24 month reprieve while ARIN reaches out to the CRTC
and tries to help them understand why the regulation mismatches
international standards for IPv4 address management.

If it were a CRTC regulation at fault. Which as near as I can
determine, it isn't. It's pure bad behavior on the part of the
incumbent cable companies with lying fingers pointed at the CRTC.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004