[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2012-6: Revising Section 4.4 C/I Reserved Pool Size

ARIN info at arin.net
Wed Sep 5 16:51:50 EDT 2012

Draft Policy ARIN-2012-6
Revising Section 4.4 C/I Reserved Pool Size

On 16 August 2012 the ARIN Advisory Council (AC) selected "Revising
Section 4.4 C/I Reserved Pool Size" as a  draft policy for adoption
discussion on the PPML and at the Public Policy Meeting in Dallas in
October.

The draft was developed by the AC from policy proposal "ARIN-prop-177
Revising Section 4.4 C/I Reserved Pool Size." Per the Policy Development
Process, the AC submitted text to ARIN for a staff and legal assessment
prior to its selection as a draft policy. Below the draft policy is the
ARIN staff and legal assessment with the text that was reviewed. The
text did not change after the assessment.

Draft Policy ARIN-2012-6 is below and can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2012_6.html

You are encouraged to discuss Draft Policy 2012-6 on the PPML prior to
the October Public Policy Meeting. Discussion on the list and at ARIN
XXX will be used by the ARIN Advisory Council to determine community
consensus for adopting this as policy.

The ARIN Policy Development Process can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html

Draft Policies and Proposals under discussion can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/index.html

Regards,

Member Services

## * ##

Date: 5 September 2012

Policy statement:

Change Section 4.4 Paragraph 2 from:

ARIN will place an equivalent of a /16 of IPv4 address space in a
reserve for Critical Infrastructure, as defined in section 4.4. If at
the end of the policy term there is unused address space remaining in
this pool, ARIN staff is authorized to utilize this space in a manner
consistent with community expectations.

Change Section 4.4 Paragraph 2 to:

ARIN will place an equivalent of a /15 of IPv4 address space in a
reserve for Critical Infrastructure, as defined in section 4.4.

Rationale:

Additional critical infrastructure is being added to the Internet and
in a number greater than anticipated when this proposal was written
and adopted.

The original CI pool was created to serve new IX and new CI
requirements. The pending need is estimated in the 600 new gTLD range.
With a /24 assignment from the existing boundary and the likelihood of
some sharing platforms, assigning a /15 would seem prudent. I have
removed the limited term. I have proposed implementation to occur at the
point where there is only an equivalent of a /8 available overall.  The
process for completing the gTLD additions still has some time to play
out, but it is likely we will have exhausted by the time that the
process does fully play out.

##########

ARIN Staff and Legal Assessment

ARIN STAFF ASSESSMENT

Date of Assessment:  24 July 2012

1. Summary (Staff Understanding)

This proposal would modify the existing micro-allocation policy and have
ARIN staff reserve a /15 equivalent for critical infrastructure rather
than the /16 currently cited in the policy text.  Additionally, it
removes the clause that would allow ARIN to release any remaining space
from within the reserved block back into its available pool at the end
of 2 years.

2. Comments

A. ARIN Staff Comments

  * This proposal will likely benefit organizations who provide critical
    Internet infrastructure, particularly as the new expanded ICANN gTLD
    program rolls out.
  * The following statement needs to be part of the actual policy text
    that gets added to NRPM "Implementation:  When the equivalent of
    less than a /8 is left in all inventory,"    If implemented, ARIN
    staff will prepend that statement to the policy text for
    clarification purposes.

B. ARIN General Counsel

No significant legal issue on this proposal.

3. Resource Impact
This policy would have minimal resource impact from an implementation
aspect.  It is estimated that implementation would occur within 3 months
after ratification by the ARIN Board of Trustees. The following would be
needed in order to implement:

Updated guidelines and procedures

4. Proposal Text