[arin-ppml] quantitative study of IPv4 address market

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Tue Sep 4 16:54:13 EDT 2012

> I am confused here, Paul, or perhaps you are.
>
> I was most certainly NOT arguing for eliminating the needs-basis test.
> I was stating that the current 3-month window does, in fact,
> disadvantage some classes of ARIN members to the advantage of other
> classes of members.
>
> For example:
>
> Members that can afford to purchase through the transfer market today
> now have the advantage of a 24-month window.
> End-Users still have the advantage of a 12-month assignment window.
>
> The current policy means that only ISPs of limited financial means are
> limited to a 3-month window.
>
> I did not and would not advocate setting policies through any manner
> other than community consensus and I am surprised that you interpreted
> my statement in that direction.
>
> Owen

Paul can speak for himself. But what I read suggests that if you define
legitimate in any way other than as defined by policy, you would need to
consider the members of the community whose need cannot be met in any
way even now from the free pool.

And that those members have found a satisfactory policy compatible
solution. And that we should stop worrying about those well able to take
care of themselves.

Joe