[arin-ppml] quantitative study of IPv4 address market

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Tue Sep 4 15:35:43 EDT 2012

On 9/4/2012 6:57 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2012, at 08:24 , Joe Maimon <jmaimon at chl.com
> <mailto:jmaimon at chl.com>> wrote:

>> The allocation policy is relevant only so long as ARIN has an
>> allocation pool. Which I want to see last as long as possible, since
>> it is certain not to last long enough.
>
> This is where we utterly and completely disagree. Making the free pool
> last artificially longer by disadvantaging legitimate uses of the
> address space today is not a win and is contrary to ARIN's mission
> statement, IMHO.

i've now sat with several arin members who have told me privately that
their business needs for ipv4 growth are measured in half-decades not
years, and so they were optioning future address space through a grayish
transfer market even before arin went to a three month regime. i say
"grayish" because the option agreements are a private matter not subject
to arin rules, and the space in question will inevitably be transferred
to the recipient upon demonstrable need. i've been told that the
directed transfer rule whereby resources can be transferred between
parties without first returning it to arin and then reallocating it, was
the only instrument they needed.

to me this says arin has a workable system even at three months, and
that unless this community chose to forego any needs basis at all, there
is no way to ensure that addresses are available to those whose real
demonstrated need -- which will be demonstrated in terms of capital for
the network and also capital for the options and ultimately the resources.

this community has reached consensus on three month allocation windows.
that consensus could be changed by debate. i welcome such debate.

but in no sense is non-needs-based allocation (within the community's
chosen window, currently of three months) definitionally a "legitimate"
use, such that "disadvantaging" such use is "not a win". nor would any
of us enjoy an internet in which policies of this kind are set in any
way other than by community consensus.

paul