[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2012-6: Revising Section 4.4 C/I Reserved Pool Size

Christopher Morrow christopher.morrow at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 17:47:13 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Christopher Morrow
> <christopher.morrow at gmail.com> wrote:
> .....
>>> Given ICANN's discussions to significantly expand the number of gTLDs, I
>>> think expanding the CI reservation from /16 to /15 is a reasonable
>>> precaution.  However, my prediction is that a /15 should be sufficient for
>> I don't disagree that 'enlarging it..' seems good. I don't get a good
>> feeling at all about how large is 'enough'.
>>> several years of gTLD and other CI growth, I'm think 2 to 5 years. If that
>>> turns out to be incorrect, then I would support expanding the reservation
>>> with future returned space as necessary.  But, I think we can take wait and
>>> see approach in dealing with that contingency.
>> I think the timeframe is not 2-5 yrs, but 'how long is it that v4 is
>> still relevant/required at the TLD level?" and I'd expect that to last
>> much further out than 2-5yrs... I was thinking at least 10 if not 20
>> yrs.
> Unfortunately, I am afraid that the only answer of how much
> space is enough, or how long will IPv4 be relevant will be of
> the form "We will know it when we experience it".  Enlarging
> the CI reserved space now seems to have little long term
> downside (since we can always reduce it if not needed), with
> the upside of having the space if we need it (for 10+ years).
> I support the policy.

I forgot to say that in general I support the policy, I just don't get
a good feeling that /15 is large enough.
I also (as said) don't know what would be 'large enough', so... sure, 15.

More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list