[arin-ppml] POC privacy

Steven Noble snoble at sonn.com
Mon Oct 29 07:06:08 EDT 2012

On Oct 26, 2012, at 3:55 PM, Patrick Klos <patrick at klos.com> wrote:

> Chu, Yi [NTK] wrote:
>> Good story aside, some people may not appreciate the fact that any anonymous person on earth can track them down, especially the pizza guy had no business in the network.
>>
>> I take this story as indication that the current system is lacking concern for privacy.
>
> I don't think the story has any privacy implications whatsoever?  It was just a good story about how resourceful some people can be when they need to contact someone who is otherwise incommunicado!  (and I suspect the pizza guy was somehow compensated for his "delivery"?)
>
> If a person or entity has resources on the [public] Internet, and those resources are misbehaving in one way or another, why shouldn't "any anonymous person on earth" be able to track down the owner or operator/ISP of those resources to make sure they're aware of the bad behavior??  Whether people "appreciate" that level of responsibility or not, they get it when they sign up for the [public] Internet.
>
> If one of my hosts on one of my networks was causing an issue or not working properly, I hope that some kind [anonymous] person would attempt to contact me ASAP so I can deal with the issue.  I have no reason to hide from anyone, and I certainly don't want any of my equipment to cause trouble for my customers or anyone else on the Internet!

From NANOG earlier today comes an example of why having valid information is helpful:

Hi all,

Does anyone have a technical or peering contact at Belpak / Beltelecom
(AS 6697) to address
an apparent netblock hijacking issue?

AS6697 is advertising the 2.2.2.0/24 address space which is under
AS3215 management.
We've tried to announce the same prefix but it's difficult to get the
traffic back!

No answer from people listed in the whois, no peeringDB information.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
--
sarah

Mind you, this is a RIPE AS but the concept still holds.. someone is announcing someone else's /24.  It's very hard to deal with.

I think everyone knows where I stand on the issue.  I spent years trying to get my physical address updated on my AS.  This can be very serious stuff (having had /24 versions of my networks announced before) so I would much rather be reachable at any address at any hours than responsible for someone being down longer than necessary.