[arin-ppml] POC privacy

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri Oct 26 15:15:01 EDT 2012

On 10/26/2012 10:54 AM, Kevin Kargel wrote:
> .
>
> <kjk>  One other point I wanted to make here going further on point #2 - Businesses using a *shared* resource such as the *shared* public internet not only have no reason to hide themselves, they have an obligation to be reachable by the members of the community they are sharing the resources with.

So I should be able to hide my POCs if I plan to use the addresses only
with private interconnections that don't reach "the public Internet"?

>   If they don't want to participate in the shared public resource then they don't need shared public resources in the first place.

Disagree. We've had this argument repeatedly. Guaranteed uniqueness of
addresses for private interconnection is a perfectly valid reason to
consume addresses from the shared public pool.

>    The simple act of reserving a globally unique address consumes a shared resource and obligates the consumer to be reachable, even if the globally unique address is never routed globally. JMO </kjk>

That makes no sense at all. Why would you ever need to reach them
*except* to spam them?

Matthew Kaufman