[arin-ppml] POC privacy

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Fri Oct 26 12:40:30 EDT 2012

> POCs are also used by ARIN to determine who is permitted to
> modify records. Technical and Admin POCs linked to ORGs are
> how this permissions relationship works. Now fair, private
> Abuse or NOC POCs are kind of useless, but the entire
> argument isn't without merit.
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

I would sort of buy in to the concept of public and private "contacts" if there were an 'ORG' PoC to take over the role currently held by the ADMIN contact.

So long as there are three classes of contacts (Organizational/Legal, Technical and Abuse) required to be public and responsive then "Admin" contacts solely for the purpose of interacting with ARIN could be private.  That way a company could grant admin rights to an employee without exposing that employee to the world.

It would be nice but perhaps not absolutely necessary if the 'Admin' contacts were visible to ARIN membership.  Perhaps the best bet would be to make it possible for the end user to set the visibility level for those contacts - public, community or private.

Kevin