[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2012-6: Revising Section 4.4 C/I Reserved Pool Size

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 16:02:20 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Christopher Morrow
<christopher.morrow at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Given ICANN's discussions to significantly expand the number of gTLDs, I
>> think expanding the CI reservation from /16 to /15 is a reasonable
>> precaution.  However, my prediction is that a /15 should be sufficient for
>
> I don't disagree that 'enlarging it..' seems good. I don't get a good
> feeling at all about how large is 'enough'.
>
>> several years of gTLD and other CI growth, I'm think 2 to 5 years. If that
>> turns out to be incorrect, then I would support expanding the reservation
>> with future returned space as necessary.  But, I think we can take wait and
>> see approach in dealing with that contingency.
>
> I think the timeframe is not 2-5 yrs, but 'how long is it that v4 is
> still relevant/required at the TLD level?" and I'd expect that to last
> much further out than 2-5yrs... I was thinking at least 10 if not 20
> yrs.

Unfortunately, I am afraid that the only answer of how much
space is enough, or how long will IPv4 be relevant will be of
the form "We will know it when we experience it".  Enlarging
the CI reserved space now seems to have little long term
downside (since we can always reduce it if not needed), with
the upside of having the space if we need it (for 10+ years).

I support the policy.

Gary