[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-182 Update Residential Customer Definition to not exclude wireless as Residential Service

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Oct 2 15:59:42 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> What's the motivation behind removing "place of residence?"
>
> Your smartphone, tablet, LTE / WiFi HotSpot provide the same service
> and require the same number of IP addresses regardless if you are at
> your house, a park, Grandma' House, a hospital ....
>
> I believe the Policy should reflect that a fixed geographic location,
> "place of residence" and an associated physical wire, is irrelevant
> with regards to assigning an address to for a consumer service.  Yet,
> the wording in the Policy, and interpretation of the Policy, make this
> a challenge for wireless services to people (not businesses).
>
> The principle is the same, there is no change to that.  But, the
> wording of 2.13 needs to be updated to account for the progress and
> growth made in wireless/mobile internet access.

Hi Cameron,

I think I need some more convincing on that one. You're talking about
a whole different class of use here: mobile users, not home users. Why
should a mobile user with a /29 on his smartphone or tablet be
exempted from ARIN reporting? Why isn't that an unusual and
consumptive kind of use of scarce IPv4 addresses that we as a
community want to monitor closely?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004