[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-182 Update Residential Customer Definition to not exclude wireless as Residential Service

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Oct 2 14:03:03 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> ARIN-prop-182 Update Residential Customer Definition to not
> exclude wireless as Residential Service

> Policy statement:
>
> Update  "section 2.13. Residential Customer" to remove the term "place
> of residence" and append "regardless of OSI Layer 1 and 2
> technologies"
>
> The resulting text shall be: End-users who are individual persons and
> not organizations and who receive service for personal use only are
> considered residential customers, regardless of OSI Layer 1 or 2
> technologies.

Hi Cameron,

"OSI layer 1 and layer 2" seems overly specific. How about just,
"regardless of the technology used?" I can see your point that just
because I buy a business-grade service doesn't mean I'm a business. As
a hobbyist, I should benefit from residential privacy too.

What's the motivation behind removing "place of residence?"

Thanks,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004