[arin-ppml] REVISED: Draft Policy ARIN-2012-8: Aligning 8.2 and 8.3 Transfer Policy

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 22:56:06 EST 2012

On 11/19/12, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> IOW, I want to avoid extending the more lenient 8.2 provisions to a sale
> where someone buys $100,000 worth of IP addresses and $20,000 worth of
> hardware and then sells the hardware to $SCRAP_DEALER just to keep the
> addresses.

IP addresses don't belong to hardware;  IP addresses belong to IP
interfaces, attached to hardware, in order to provide connectivity to
a network node for communicating or offering a service.     A change
of hardware does not imply that the need for the logical IP interface
goes away.     If you send a router to a scrap dealer, that doesn't
mean all the networks it routed necessarily go away.

What about cases, where the acquiring organization finds the hardware
_belongs_ with  $TRASH_COLLECTION or $SCRAP_DEALER    due to the
obsolescence of said decrepit hardware,   and after acquiring,  they
will make a non-disruptive reallocation of the hardware used to
provide IT services?      Probably by re-consolidating on new
hardware.

That kind of restructuring does not make renumbering reasonable
and doesn't belong under 8.3.

> Those kinds of purchases belong under the scrutiny of 8.3.
> Owen
[snip]
--
-JH