[arin-ppml] REVISED: Draft Policy ARIN-2012-8: Aligning 8.2 and 8.3 Transfer Policy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Nov 19 20:18:54 EST 2012

On Nov 19, 2012, at 11:48 AM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback Owen.
>
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> 1. first bullet, s/used/use/ in that the acquired assets should still be using the resources in order to justify an M&A transfer.
>
> That would constitute a change from the existing text, which several
> folks spoke against at the PPM. I'd like to get more feedback before
> changing it back again. Comments from others in the community would be
> very much appreciated.
>
>> 2. Third bullet should read "current and future ARIN policies".
>
> Good catch, thanks.
>
>> 3. Suggest updating the minimum transfer size specification to reflect "Current ARIN minimum allocation or assignment policy as defined in section 4 or section 6 or the original assignment size, whichever is smaller." since over time we have seen changes in these minimums and I would prefer that the transfer policy automatically track other policy changes.
>
> I believe that would effectively allow everyone to transfer v4/28s
> today based on 4.10 - is this something the community wants to allow?
> More feedback in this area would also be helpful.

It would only allow them to transfer /28s if their target use was a valid qualified use under 4.10. As such, I think I'm OK with that.

If people object to that, then I would suggest the following:

"Notwithstanding section 4.10, Current ARIN minimum allocation or assignment policy as defined in section 4 or section 6…"

Owen