[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition (was: Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement)

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Wed May 16 22:34:12 EDT 2012

    Chris> If you are actually talking end-user enterprises here as

No, *I* am not talking about addresses for enterprises own use.
(I believe that William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> has many COIN examples
though)

I'm talking about enterprises which create products which use IP
addressing internally.  Said products get sold/shipped/instantiated (for
VMs) to other enterprises.

Many of these things are greenfields as far as networking goes.  This is
where much of the win of IPv6 is.

    Chris> I appreciate that the folks involved with ARIN want to speed
    Chris> IPv6 adoption as much as possible as it will resolve the
    Chris> biggest headache that ARIN faces, managing address
    Chris> scarcity. However, I honestly don't believe there is much of

Right, but what we have right now is IPv6 artificial scarcity.

    Chris> of their devices.  According to the vendor, "officially
    Chris> supporting IPv6" meant that their firewalls/security
    Chris> appliances were capable of ROUTING IPv6 traffic... however,
    Chris> as the rep. explained, the devices Rules Engine and Packet
    Chris> Inspection Filters were incapable of processing IPv6 packets,
    Chris> so enabling IPv6 support on any of those devices would turn
    Chris> the security appliance/firewall into an OPEN ROUTER,

Nice.  Thanks for this.  A firewall vendor to avoid, since they spent
all this money on that logo, and none on thinking.

] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
	               then sign the petition.