[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed May 16 21:50:05 EDT 2012

On May 16, 2012, at 6:39 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I've been talking about a one-shot deal. Get 15,000ish address blocks
> out there. Once. Then treat them like any other block held under that
> org's registration services agreement.

Bill -

  Ah, thank you, that clarifies things significantly.  Agreed, if you simply pull
  all resource holders meeting criteria "X" and preemptively assign each an IPv6
  block, then you can't end up with more new direct routes than blocks issued.
  I have no idea if it that approach will materially affect IPv6 deployment, but
  it should be implementable as you describe above and in the previous message.
  Please remember, if you move to proposing it, to specify whether and/or how ARIN
  is to deal with reclamation and how this one-time event would be equitable
  to those organizations seeking IPv6 space at time after your one-time event.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO