[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed May 16 13:48:04 EDT 2012

On May 16, 2012, at 11:54 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> On 5/16/12, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>

>> Routing aggregation from preemptive provider-independent assignments
>> will definitely be much, much less than provider-assigned IPv6 prefixes,
>> and while there is some chance of aggregation of successive assignments,
>> it is likely that there are very few such end-user successive assignments
>> to actually make a meaningful difference.
>
> Hi John,
>
> Respectfully, that's a false comparison. For the folks I'm talking
> about, multihomed end users who needed an AS number from ARIN,
> provider-assigned IPv6 prefixes are technologically not an option.

Bill -

   I was not asserting that provider-assigned IPv6 prefixes were an option
   for any particular class of users.  What I was pointing out is that a
   system which provides preemptive provider-independent assignments is
   very similar to an algorithmic-based assignment scheme in that it
   completely precludes any form of provider-based routing aggregation,
   since each new customer with such a prefix results in a new route.

> Actually, I suppose if I'm being fair I talked broadly about
> preemptively assigning addresses broadly to folks holding IPv4
> addresses and folks holding AS numbers. ARIN also assigns IPv4
> addresses to large single-homed organizations who, unlike multihomed
> orgs, face no absolute technological barriers to using ISP addresses.
>
> Does your view on aggregation change if discussion is limited to folks
> holding AS numbers because they needed to multihome?

   Widespread use of provider-independent IPv6 assignments has been deemed
   unacceptable in the past by many in the community due to the potential
   routing impact, and noting that if indeed this assumption has changed
   (and every multi-homed organization can have their own IPv6 routing entry),
   then revisiting algorithmic approaches could quickly facilitate making
   IPv6 address blocks availability to all organizations holding AS numbers,
   IPv4 address blocks, cell phones, etc.

FYI,
/John

John Curran and CEO