[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition (was: Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed May 16 13:12:15 EDT 2012

On 5/16/12, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On May 16, 2012, at 8:11 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
>> But, I didn't say it was risk of collision with ULA-R that was the
>> main problem, it is lack of reverse DNS and lack of whois that is the
>> problem.
>
> Why do you need non-local RDNS and/or WHOIS for local-only addresses?

Hi Owen,

Configuring split-horizon DNS coordinated between multiple
interconnected organizations has always been a bit of an intractable
problem, especially when some parts are connected to some other parts
but not all parts are connected to all other parts. You could
sometimes get around it with an interior root but DNSSEC blows that
out of the water. An exterior NS record back to the interior
authoritative server could potentially help a lot.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004