[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition (was: Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed May 16 12:07:52 EDT 2012

On 5/16/12, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> Sure, but, those organizations that might benefit from this proposed
> auto-assignment of IPv6 are coming back for additional IPv4 anyway,

What makes you think that? Two of the three multihomed orgs I'm
responsible for don't have IPv6 addresses yet. One of them won't need
more IPv4 addresses for years. I can confidently say that the other
won't need more IPv4 addresses ever.

IIRC, ARIN stats on the number of end user orgs which ever request an
additional assignment support the view that for end users, a timely
return for additional addresses is the exception to the rule.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004