[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition

paul vixie paul at redbarn.org
Tue May 15 20:52:24 EDT 2012

On 5/16/2012 12:41 AM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> On 5/15/12, paul vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:
>> i don't know if you're "missing" these, but they come to mind.
>> 1. RFC 4193 ULA space is statistically unique, not guaranteed unique.
>> 2. RFC 3484 IPv6 address selection requirements make neighborhood mesh
> If those RFCs can be revised so that [...lots of good ideas...]

perhaps you'd be willing to pick up the pen on
<http://nsa.vix.com/~vixie/ula-global.txt> which i personally abandoned
in 2007 or so? william herrin had sent me a long list of things that
needed fixing. i'll be happy to send that list, and the nroff source
code, to anyone who wants to restart it.

> It would not be a substitute for automatically mapping IPv4 assignments.
> A downside of ULA space is that all assignments are /48s
>
> Whereas, if  ARIN mapped the bits of all IPv4 assignments onto a /8
> ISPs that had received a /16   in IPv4,  would have an automatic IPv6  /24
>
> which is a more appropriate quantity of IPv6 resources for an ISP

i don't see why we'd base the long future of ipv6 on the short past of
ipv4, or why current RIR policy fails to meet the needs of ISP's. so to
me this problem seems unrelated to ULA.

--
"I suspect I'm not known as a font of optimism." (VJS, 2012)