[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition (was: Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement)

Izaac izaac at setec.org
Fri May 11 13:04:00 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 01:26:32AM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> as far as i know, we bureaucrats are doing all we can to facilitate and
> encourage that transition. if you have ideas on other things we can do,
> please send them along.

Some ideas which you may actually consider?  Off the top of my head,
with little rationale exploration due to time constraint -- and hunger:

- Outright REQUIRE IPv6 requests to correspond with and accompany all
  IPv4 requests.  And then actually assign and issue that IPv6 space --
  whether or not the requester has any intention of immediately using
  it.

- Actively promote the establishment and maintenance of 6to4 gateways by
  all present IPv4 allocation holders above a sensibly arbitrary size,
  e.g. /20.  And consider requiring them for new issues of that size.
  Further, provide incentive and reward for 6to4 anycast participation.

- Actually bother to pronounce an IPv4 deprecation date.  Only some weak
  detail as to what "deprecation" means would be necessary.  And an
  29OCT2019 date is so far off that it provides nothing more than some
  structure for planning.

> > (Incidentally, do contact your local Austrian economist for a discussion
> > about whether central planning or a free market are more efficient at
> > allocating scarce resources.)
>
> the arin community's local austrian-school economist is dr. milton
> mueller, and he has indeed made the points you describe. unconvincingly
> from my point of view, but let's not forget about him altogether.

Indeed.  I'd revisit his suggestions.  A market, when left to its
devices, solves these problems with remarkable speed and little
difficulty.  It does so by leveraging all the knowledge, experience,
requirements, and resources of its participants in a way that no series
of conjectures, assertions, plans, and surveys are able.

--