[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-170 Transfer of Number Resources in case Bankruptcy

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu May 10 23:38:35 EDT 2012

On May 10, 2012, at 5:47 PM, Astrodog wrote:

> I don't see why a bankruptcy sale of networking equipment is somehow
> distinct in allocation terms from an entity selling the equipment
> without entering bankruptcy. ARIN does not allow automatic transfer of
> number resources in the latter case. If the purchasing entity intends to
> continue to operate the network of the bankrupt entity similarly to the
> way the bankrupt entity was, meeting the needs requirement should be
> trivial, and the safe harbor provision proposed above would ensure that
> such a transition could be performed relatively seamlessly as a standard
> 8.3 transfer.

In the case of an entity acquiring the network operations of another firm
and continuing to operate it in a similar manner, we already process these
transfer requests in accordance with NRPM 8.2 (mergers and acquisitions).
This applies equally well to networks which are sold as part of the normal
bankruptcy process, and hence it is not exactly clear what additional
benefits the "safe harbor" approach would provide over existing policy.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO