[arin-ppml] ARIN-2012-3: ASN Transfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue May 8 00:40:40 EDT 2012

On 5/7/12, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On May 7, 2012, at 6:25 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>> When folks are confident that the rules were made with their consent,
>> they're less likely to deliberately cheat.
>
> Agreed. One of the reasons I try to encourage participation by the broadest
> possible community.

Come to think of it, I wonder if this doesn't reflect a deficiency in
the PDP itself.

We talk and talk about the wonder of community consensus policy, but
consensus is a progression of dissonant ideas into a coherent plan
with mass appeal. No such progression is present in the PDP... from
first to last it's a majority vote.

Perhaps it shouldn't be. Maybe instead:

4 affirmatives accept a proposal onto the docket and move it to formal
discussion
8 affirmatives move a discussed proposal to last call
12 affirmatives send a called proposal to the board.

We can talk the talk about consensus, but such with such a progression
it'd be hard to avoid walking the walk.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004