[arin-ppml] ARIN-2012-3: ASN Transfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon May 7 21:25:42 EDT 2012

On 5/7/12, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On May 7, 2012, at 2:29 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>> If you want the community to own the policies then a non-trivial
>> amount of dissent means you keep discussing it. That's the nature of
>> consensus and if you want the disparate members of the community to
>> engage as ARIN's partners in address management, that's what it takes.
>
> While having true consensus would be ideal, it's not always feasible.
> In some cases, the AC has to weigh whether failing to move a proposal
> with significant support forward would do a greater harm than continuing
> to discuss it.

Hi Owen,

Would failing to move an AS transfer proposal forward this cycle do
harm? We've survived without one for 15 years and we're not sort of AS
numbers, at least not the 32 bit variety.

> It is a valid criticism that there has been some tendency towards a tyranny
> of the majority of late and that the AC has trended in some cases towards
> mistaking majority support for consensus. However, even in times of such
> errors, I do not feel that the AC has discounted, ignored, or otherwise
> disenfranchised any dissenting views presented in the public record.

If I have overstated the case, well, it wouldn't be the first time.
But from your own words, you see the problem too.

>> The folks who internalize rules set by 15
>> people on a committee are largely comprised of the 15 people on the
>> committee.
>
> The last sentence just doesn't parse for me, so I'm not sure what you
> were intending to say.

When folks are confident that the rules were made with their consent,
they're less likely to deliberately cheat.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004