[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat May 5 01:09:47 EDT 2012

On May 5, 2012, at 12:22 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> Sure, you could have lied to me... most customers buy something else
> from you and only 50 of them buy IP services. But if you're this good
> at telling a consistent lie then reading a list of names and addresses
> isn't going to bust you either.
>
> In fact, unless I'm prepared to pick up the phone and start polling
> the folks on that customer list, I have just as much confidence that
> you're telling the truth this way as I do from demanding a customer
> list.

With all due respect Bill, it is not quite as easy to produce a
set of customer reassignment data as you would think, and there
are ways of spot checking individual entries short of directly
contacting them. You should be able to infer some of them; I'd
rather not directly outline how to fabricate the appropriate
external supporting data.  You may be able to add reassignments
which aren't caught in spot checking, but you'd find it difficult
to create quantities of believable customers sufficient to move
your utilization in a major way.

FYI,
/John

John Curran