[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri May 4 22:20:07 EDT 2012

On May 4, 2012, at 10:05 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> I'll list two:
>
> Employee count to see if you're over the low water mark typical for
> the size of your address holdings.
>
> A de-identified data dump from your configuration system that shows
> what (e.g. dialup accounts, email boxes, etc.) but not who (no account
> names, real names, addresses, etc).

Bill -

 If you believe that either of the two are sufficient, please write
 them up.  We have not been asking employee count so it is unclear
 what heuristic is to be used for "assumed utilization based on # of
 service provider employees" and some guidance will be needed there.
 Same with respect to acceptable ratios of dialup accounts and/or
 email boxes to IP address utilization.

> Fantastic. And I would be well satisfied if you chose that method of
> validating your utilization over the others. Convince John Curran that
> there's a way to do that without taking away anybody else's choice to
> provide a tour of the routers instead of the PII and I'll write it up.

 It is not David's job to write it up; he's not the one seeking
 an alternative.  You are seeking to establish some alternatives
 and therefore you carry the burden of documenting your suggestions
 so that folks in the community can read them and consider if they
 are fair and technically sound.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran