[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri May 4 21:05:10 EDT 2012

On May 4, 2012, at 8:50 PM, David Krumme wrote:

> I actually welcomed the request to provide the names of our subscribers. I
> could have sent phone numbers and even some photographs. :-) The
> subscribers were the one and only one reason we needed the IP addresses in
> the first place. Each IP address allows one flesh-and-blood individual to
> access the Internet to meet his or her needs. I feel like I am advocating
> on behalf of my customers in this regard, and I don't mind listing their
> names and IP addresses in order to advance their interests.

David -

  Good to know; thanks for taking the time to comment on this.

> I have only one customer who would have objected to having his IP address
> known by anyone. (I should have deleted his entry when I sent the list to
> ARIN...) He's a gun-lover who some folks might describe as being rather
> on the paranoid side. I try to humor him.

  This reminds me - we're now actively working to determine appropriate
  retention for this more detailed information; we obviously need to
  have it long enough to review for determine utilization of the address
  blocks, and potentially some additional time to facilitate follow-on
  questions or appeals, but do not want to have this information being
  retained by ARIN any longer than needed.  We'll provide an update to
  the community as soon as we have a revised process active which provides
  for minimal retention.

Thanks & FYI,
/John

John Curran